Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Vacation

Well, the last few days have been a bit busy - I've had a group of friends from CT in town since last Thursday.  Don't get my wrong, have everyone in town has been AMAZING but it doesn't really allow for much triathlon training, that's for sure.  Didn't have time to sneak in a workout last Thursday before having to pick them up from the airport.  We spent Friday morning at Garden of the Gods and Cave of the Winds - both must-sees for visitors to Colorado Springs.  Definitely got a good amount of walking/hiking/climbing in and certainly enjoyed showing everyone this beautiful city and state that I live in!


After a busy day Friday (early morning and a late night), we started off early on Saturday morning again.  Spent the day in Denver and then the whole large group of 10 of us went to Red Rocks Amphitheater for a Dispatch concert.  Red Rocks is a natural amphitheater outside of Denver and it absolutely amazing - not only does it have a beautiful backdrop, the sound is near flawless!  Loved spending the day with the whole group and seeing our favorite band play!
            

We didn't get home from the concert until after 2am on Sunday morning but the 4 of us were determined to get to the top of Pikes Peak (14,110') before they had to leave for the airport.  Didn't want to make the (terrifying) drive to the top so took the Pikes Peak Cog Rail.  I had never taken it before and it was definitely fun.  We've been having some forest fire issues the last week so it was a bit smoky/hazy at the top but still amazing!  So glad I got to take the group up top before their weekend came to an end!


My training schedule would have been fine if I just had friends in town for the long weekend.  However, my best friend Lindsay and her boyfriend Mike are sticking around a few extra days and are staying with me.  I would have recovered from a busy weekend with a little sleep so I could get back on schedule but having more people in town is making that very challenging.  I love spending time with everyone but I certainly feel my body struggling from not training.  While I'm going to be VERY sad to see Lindsay and Mike and my vacation finally come to an end on Wednesday night, I'm looking forward to getting back into my triathlon training.  I need to get back into it because mom has been doing GREAT lately with her trainings and she's going to kick my butt when I go home later this month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment