Monday, March 28, 2011

So, Apparently I Can't Swim


And I'm also a bit dramatic but tonight's swim workout was very challenging for me. Now, here's my confession ... I'm on week 4 of the triathlon training plan but missed the first 2 weeks due to traveling for work and didn't get in either of my swim workouts last week. So, I ended up doing my first swim workout when I should have been doing my 7th.  It's my own fault I struggled but it was a very eye-opening experience for me.  I forgot how aerobic swimming is.  I found that I was strong enough to actually swim - the kicking only section was great for me - but I was frequently out of breath in doing freestyle and struggled to swim more than 50yards at a time.  I left the gym feeling very disappointed.  I mean, I grew up in the water, I tell people I love the water more than the mountains (crazy, I know!) and I've always considered myself a good swimmer.  I shouldn't have struggled that much.  All my negative feelings reminded me that I really needed to focus on the swim workouts if I want to be able to excel in this triathlon.  Swimming is the first part of the race - I need to start strong or I'm going to struggle the rest of the race.  Last night was a reality check and I swear not to miss another swim workout again!!

Actual Workout:
3x100 mixed strokes
4x50 (25 drill / 25 swim)
3x50 free style
Kick only 4x50
2x100 mixed strokes


Total swimming distance: 1,050 yards

Just as a fun note, there's 1,760 yards in a mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment