Thursday, July 21, 2011

Back to Running... And More Swimming!

I realized yesterday that I've been spending so much time focusing on my swimming and going to spinning class that I haven't been running in a while!  I feel very confident in my running but that doesn't mean that I should stop doing it all together.  I had planned on running outside after work today - one of the triathlon training books I'm reading really emphasizes the importance of doing your trainings in the same environment as the competition instead of always at the gym.  However, after a long day of work, I just didn't have the mental capacity to push myself through a run outside in the heat.  Went to the gym and pushed through a 40 minute run, although only 20 minutes of that was actual running.  I did get a full 3 miles in though, so I felt pretty okay with my attempt. 

Hopped off the treadmill and went right into the pool.  My workout of the day entailed swimming 100 yard intervals, rather than the 50 yard ones I've been doing for the last week or so.  I didn't necessarily increase my total yardage, but I did work on swimming for a longer distance.  I felt shockingly good.  I really focused on my pacing so that I didn't feel out of breath a few strokes in.  I'm still working on fighting through water in the goggles or the nose while I'm swimming in the pool so I can learn techniques that will work in the open water.  I did the full workout - 50 yard warm-up with the kick board (to get the legs going after the run), 5 x 100 yard freestyle, and 50 yards with the kick board.  I felt like I could have gone a bit further and looking back, I probably should have, but I'm just glad that I got the full workout done and felt good!


Total Running Miles: 3
Total Running Miles: 23.5

Daily Swimming Distance: 600 yards
Total Swimming Distance: 4,250 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment