Thursday, July 28, 2011

Swim and Run

This might have been one of the first Thursday's where I actually followed the exact plan of swimming and running together on the same day (yay me!).  I had to leave work right at 5pm to get to the gym and get my swim done before the aqua class started at 6pm.  I was feeling a bit rushed but I know that the workouts don't take me that long and that I was going to be okay.  Today's swim was 6-8 x 100 yard intervals.  I had planned on doing 8 of them (the more the better) and after finishing number 6, that was still the plan.  However, after finishing number 8, I still had a little time left before they booted me out of the pool so I decided to see if I could finish 10 intervals .. and I did!  Yes!  I figured that the extra swimming was only going to help me in the long run so I was feeling pretty good with myself.

However, I was feeling a little less than stellar by the time I got on the treadmill.  I was already feeling a bit sluggish before I started the swim and had definitely not gained any more energy before getting on the treadmill.  It was a 45 minute interval workout:
   10 minute warm-up
   5 minute run
   4 x 2 minute sprint, 3 minute recover
   10 minute cool-down
Since I was pretty wiped out, I probably ran a bit slower than I could/should have but it seemed to be the only way that I was going to finish the workout.  It definitely took a lot of positive thinking to finish this one.  As the time clock on the treadmill hit 45 minutes, signalling my completion, the distance screen hit 3.1 miles.  It wasn't pretty but I did run a 5k (half the full race distance) in 45 minutes.  Here's to hoping that I improve on my energy and time a bit before race day!

Daily Swimming Distance: 1,000 yards
Total Swimming Distance: 6,550 yards

Daily Running Miles: 3
Total Running Miles: 28

No comments:

Post a Comment