After we enjoyed the post-race festival and finished "celebrating", it was time to start the travel back to CT...
Mom and I totally missed the memo stating that bikes would not be allowed on the shuttles back to the host hotels. Since the rest of the family took a cab down this morning, it meant our only way back to the hotel was to ride, which the family took the shuttle. We were totally wiped out but somehow mustered the energy to ride the 3 miles back to the hotel, mostly uphill. Bah! We definitely rode slow and "enjoyed" the sights!
The family had packed up and checked out of the hotel room in the morning before they left so Mom and I were SOL in terms of getting in a good shower after the race. We were very thankful for an outdoor shower/hose in the pool area at the hotel and a changing room. We looked quite ridiculous "showering" in our clothes but who cares. If the rest of the family hadn't been in such a rush to leave, we would have hopped in the pool to cool down but we didn't want to push it. By the time we were ready, the truck was fully packed and they were waiting for us in the truck with the AC on!
Sitting in the back of the truck for six hours was tough. Mom and I struggled to get comfortable and changed positions frequently. She was lucky enough to fall asleep for most of the ride home. I wasn't quite as lucky so I took advantage of the quality time with the rest of the family. I was so happy to have the extra time with them since it had been a few months since we were all together. By the time we hit New Jersey, I was very anxious to get home. Hayley and my nephew Robbie were waiting for us at my parents house and I couldn't wait to see both of them. I was going near stir crazy when we hit the CT border and started getting pictures of the little guy from Robbie. Despite how tired and sore my legs were from being cramped up in the truck, I literally ran into the house to see the both of them. Nothing better than being greeted by my favorite man in the world to end an amazing day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment