Thursday, September 1, 2011

Post-Nap Swim

I really hate the fact that my gym has a class in the pool from 6-7pm on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  I can't get out of work early enough to get my swim in before the class starts and I hate going home and doing other things before I go to the gym.  I end up getting there way later than I would like and consequently, workout out way later than I'd like.  Tonight was no different.  I've been so wiped out lately that I ended up falling asleep on the couch for a few hours while I was watching a football game.  By the time I woke up and got going, I didn't get to the gym until 9:15pm.  I was actually slightly impressed that I got off the couch and went because I considered going back to bed - yes, I was that tired!  I was worried that my lack of energy after my nap would have a negative impact on my swim but it was quite the opposite - it was one of the best swims I've had yet.  Started off with a 100-yard "warm-up" and quickly settled into a 500-yard swim - my longest yet!  I swam that distance in 10 minutes, which was pretty much on pace with what I've been swimming lately (1 minute per 50 yards).  My plan was to do three 500-yard interval swims but decided to combine my last two.  I really needed to focus on my longer swimming distance.  I started to get a little fatigued by the end of my 1,000-yard swim but still felt pretty great.  It took me 22 minutes to swim this distance, and it included two quick sets of backstroke to give myself a quick break.  Tonight's swim was exactly the confident boost that I needed.  I know that my swimming is much stronger than I thought and I'm feeling pretty good about race day next week.  Still need to get in the water with my swimsuit (plan for this weekend) but overall, I'm feeling great!  Tonight was one of the first times I've actually truly enjoyed my swim workout and even told myself a few times in the water that I wanted to continue swimming as a workout.  Who would have ever thought those words would come out of my mouth?!  Not me!

Daily Swimming Yardage: 1,600
Total Swimming Yardage: 16,300 (9.25 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment