One of the perks of getting into Washington DC so early on Friday was that we got to enjoy being tourists for the afternoon. After a very rainy morning, the sun came out right around the time Mom, Dad and Josh got into DC - it was perfect! We enjoyed lunch and navigated our way on the Metro downtown towards all the national monuments. While we have all been to DC at least once, it was still great to walk around and see all the great sights - Washington Monument, the White House, Lincoln Memorial, etc. My day got even better when my best friend, Lindsay, and her fiance, Mike, joined us. Being the wonderful best friend that she is, they came to DC to support my mom and I - having her there was so amazing!
Since the 10th anniversary of 9/11 was just a few days away, everyone was out in full force. We saw numerous military groups around and it was a really great experience. At no point did I feel unsafe or as if there was paranoia, despite the fact that news groups had been discussing a potential terrorist attach (that didn't happen, thankfully).
Walking around all day in the heat was definitely exhausting but I'm glad that I had the chance to explore a bit today. I always get nervous about doing too much before a race because I don't want to be sore or tired but having the day tomorrow will be helpful.




No comments:
Post a Comment