After speculation over the last few weeks about the status of swim portion of the race, we received the news today that the swim is officially cancelled for the race this weekend. Washington DC and the East Coast has taken a beating over the last few weeks with an earthquake, hurricane and a week straight of rain. We received the email today from race officials saying that floding and fast moving currents have created hazardous conditions for swimmers so city officials and event organizers have cancelled the swim.
I have mixed feelings about this. We all know that swimming has been my weakest sport from the beginning but I have made significant improvements over the last month to my swimming skills. I've been putting in the distance and was feeling really confident about my ability to finish this portion of the race, despite my brief freakout in the wetsuit earlier this week. While there is a very small part of me that feels relieved that I don't have to potentially struggle through the swim, the other part of me is disappointed that I don't get to try since I've been working so hard. I was really looking forward to competing in a full triathlon and now I will "settle" for a duathlon since the bike and run will still go on a planned. On a positive note, since mom and I won't technically be triathletes after this weekend, we can't cross it off our bucket list so we'll have to do another one together! I have decided that I'm really enjoying training for a triathlon and plan to continue doing so in the future but mom was still on the fence. Looks like I have a new way to convince her to do another one with me!
Post event note: Despite still feeling disappointed, I'm glad that the swim portion of the race was cancelled. The Potomac looked pretty brown and full of debris (large branches, limbs, etc.). The current was also VERY strong - it would have been very challenging to swim the first half mile of the swim. Mom and I were told at an information session that the current was so strong during the week that the boat was unable to set up the bouyes in the river earlier in the week. We also overheard that all the flooding in town caused the sewers to overflow so there were very high levels of sewage in the water. I can't imagine anything worse than swimming into a tree branch and swallowing sewage in the water. Thanks but no thanks!

No comments:
Post a Comment