Saturday, August 20, 2011
So Hot!
I should know better than to start working out at 1pm on a Saturday afternoon but it was my only option today. I was off to a much slower start this morning than I would have liked to be and I had a 2 hour brick that I had to do today. Knowing I had plans the rest of the day, I decided it was better to head out in the heat than not at all. I made sure to pack a bottle of both water and Gatorade to ensure I was hydrating myself properly. Got on the trail and started my brick ... the workout was supposed to be 20 minutes of biking and 10 minutes of running, repeating it 3 times with a 5-10 minute break between each set. Rode for the first 20 minutes and clocked around 5.2 miles. I was worried about the run because of the knee and it proved to be a challenge for sure. Every single step I took felt like I was being stabbed with a knife in the knee - not happy! As always, it took a few minutes to get into a decent stride after being on the bike and for me to get out of my "limp". By no means was my running anything good or comfortable, which was apparent by the fact I only "ran" .75 miles in 10 minutes. I hopped back on the bike and decided I was going to skip the second run portion so I biked for 40 minutes. I learned today that the trail I ride on is definitely more uphill when heading back north to my car/house. It was significantly harder and my time was much slower, due to the uphill battle and my knee being sore from the run. After riding back and forth on the trail for 40 minutes, my GPS clocked me at 8.3 miles (blah!!). Decided to "cool down" and walk for the last 10 minutes of my workout and barely got through .65 miles. Not only was I extremely sore, I was definitely hot and on my way to being under hydrated. Despite the fact that I had two bottles of liquid, I found that I was not drinking enough on the bike - I need to work on that for race day. There would be nothing worse than running out of steam because I didn't drink enough!!
Daily Biking Miles: 13.5
Total Biking Miles: 238.5
Daily Running Miles: 1.4
Total Running Miles: 35
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment